NT Seniors Recognition Scheme
On 1 July 2018, the NT Seniors Recognition Scheme was introduced replacing travel concessions provided under the former NT Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme.
The NT Seniors Recognition Scheme recognises the valuable contribution seniors make to the NT and is available to all eligible residents of the Northern Territory 65 years old and over.
Members can use the prepaid card for:
- telecommunication services (phone or internet bills)
- electricity, gas, water and sewerage services. They can also pay their utilities bills at Australia Post outlets that are Post Billpay enabled
- fuel (service stations)
- accommodation – hotels, motels, hostels and caravan parks
- travel – airfares, bus/coach travel, ferry travel, taxi fares or car hire (including online travel bookings).
To apply for the scheme you must be:
- 65 years or over
- an Australian Citizen or hold a permanent residence visa
- a current Northern Territory resident that lives in the Northern Territory for 183 days each financial year
To apply for the scheme you will need to provide supporting documentation demonstrating your eligibility.
When do I receive the payment
Eligible members will receive the payment from 1 July each financial year.
In 2019-20 eligible members of the scheme have been sent travel vouchers or have received a credit on their electricity and/or water account.
The prepaid card is available to members with unused travel vouchers for 2019-20.
New members who join the scheme from December 2019 will be issued with a prepaid card following their membership approval.
In 2019-20, members can keep and redeem their valid travel vouchers until 30 June 2020 or change their vouchers for a prepaid card. Visit the Redeeming the voucher page for more information.
From 1 July 2020 all eligible members will be issued with prepaid card. Visit the information for members’ page.
- Electricity and/or water
- TApproved travel vouchers
- Approved Travel Vendors
- Prepaid card information for members
- Prepaid card information for businesses
- Frequently asked questions
- Travel Forms