Energy and water use

Energy and Water

Under the new NT Concession Scheme, the existing concession will remain the same with a cap placed on electricity and water concessions.

Under the NT Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme, both the electricity and water concessions were unlimited. This meant the more you used, the higher concession you received.

During the public consultations we received support from seniors and stakeholders for the capping of these concessions, to ensure the equitable distribution of concessions.

  • The electricity concession will now be limited to a total of up to $1,200 each year, per household. This is based on an average usage for a household of 8,000 kWh per year.
  • The water concession will also be limited to a total of up to $800 each year, per household. This is based on an average usage for a household of 471 kL per year.

Most concession scheme members use less than the average consumption amounts for electricity and water and will not be affected by this.

There are a number of helpful hints and tips on how to conserve and manage your power and water usage available from Power and Water, and Jacana Energy.

Power and Water     Jacana Energy

Additional support will be available for members experiencing hardship, including those who have higher than normal bills for medical reasons. Hardship provisions will be assessed on a case by case basis. Support and advice on hardship provisions is available by calling Territory Families Concession Unit on 1800 777 704.

The new NT Concession Scheme will start on 1 July 2018. Until that time, there will be no changes to the existing scheme.

From July 1, 2018

electricity and water concessions will be capped.

A petition with more than 6000 signatures was tabled in parliament, seeking a number of reforms, including the suggested capping of the utilities concessions. By capping the concession for utilities, we are ensuring fairer access to, and distribution of, benefits for all members.
Click here to find out how to reduce energy & water useage.

Hardship provisions will apply.

Are you a senior carer?

If you need more information, or want to discuss your eligibility, please contact the Territory Families Concessions Unit by calling 1800 777 704 or emailing